In this course, I offer you a
sample essay as a guide to how to structure your history essays.
However, that essay does not offer you a proper guide for formatting
your paper because the sample is an HTML document that cannot be
(such as double-spaced) as you would a word-processing document.
So here are some guidelines for properly formatting your papers
submitted to Assignments:
1. Save your document in Microsoft Word format.
Even if you
have Works or Word Perfect, you can save the paper in Word format.
2. Do not use Rich Text Format or HTML--only plain text,
3. Use Times New Roman or Arial 12-point fonts
use only black font on a white background.
4. Double space your paper. Format your margins in
following manner: left
margin, 1 1/2 "; all other margins 1".
5. Include your name, course and section number in a header on
the first page only; number subsequent pages.
6. Always include a bibliography of sources consulted
(even if it's only this web site or your textbook) on a separate bibliography
page at the end of your paper. This is very important!
Failure to cite sources constitutes plagiarism, which is a very
7. Do not include pictures or illustrations in an essay.
8. Do not use a cover sheet.
Other notes: always use spell check and grammar check
submit your paper! (You would be amazed at how often people
forget to use these simple tools.)
This page last updated January 22, 2005.
© Kahne Parsons 2005.